3SPACES – Towards Inspiring Workplaces
The 3SPACES project aims to enhance productivity and profitability of Finnish SME companies by contributing to different-aged employees’ wellbeing and scopes of action. The project facilitates SME:s to develop themselves to competitive and inspiring workplaces by initiating a change process in 3 spaces at the same time: mental, physical and digital transformation. The development of the 3 spaces at the same time is a new way of change management that fosters allocation of resources and wellbeing at work and hence lengthens employees’ careers. The project will be implemented as a holistic training programme of “transformation agents”. The specific objectives of the project are: (1) change in mental space, (2) change in digital space and (3) change in physical space.
Haaga-Helia (Main partner) and University of Helsinki (partner) implement the 3SPACES project in cooperation with local SMEs. The target group of the project is formed from SME representatives, management, and equal representatives of public employment organizations participating in the transformation agent training. The indirect target group is formed from the other employees and managers of SMEs as well as from university staff members and students, whose understanding and awareness develops by the change of 3SPACES. The existing services aimed for SMEs, such as Finnish mobile applications supporting employees’ wellbeing and working habits, will be utilized in the project, and hence the service providers are also part of the indirect target group.
The transformation agent training programme will be implemented twice during the 2 years (2015-2017). Both of the trainings involve about 5 companies, each providing 1-3 participants. The goals of the project will be reached with concrete actions.
- The change in mental space will be reached in the training by creating conditions and skills for participant’s internal change process. It will focus on challenges in change, change resistance, ability to tolerate incompleteness, and in individual’s opportunities to take more responsibility of one’s own work habits and development of them.
- The change in digital space will be reached in the training by raising the level of awareness of the working practices related to digitality, and by co-creating with the work community a digital plan focusing on the opportunities (applications) and challenges (digital addiction) of the work community. In addition, new applications related to improving employees’ wellbeing and supporting co-creation in a work community, will be applied.
- The change in physical space will be reached in the training by co-creating with the work community a plan that takes into account the physical environment as a part of intellectual activities. The basis for physical environment planning comes from the preliminary mapping focusing on finding the company’s central needs as well as needs for specific rooms. The space should facilitate the implementation of different tasks in a meaningful way, for example co- creative working and independent silent work.
As a result of the project, the following outcomes are developed:
- transformation agent training programme
- 40 transformation agents
- aware and healthy employees taking responsibility of their own working
- 10 intelligent space plans including digital development plans for the companies involved (1 per company)
- a story book as a publication (stories about development and change)
- a holistic model for developing the 3 spaces
Project name: 3SPACES – Towards Inspiring Workplaces
Coordinator: Haaga-Helia University of Applies Sciences
Project Manager: Suvi Starck
Duration: 1.8.2015 – 30.6.2017
Partners: University of Helsinki
Funder: European Social Fund